Thursday, February 23, 2012

Turning Tables

Since this is pretty much the year of Adele, I thought the title was fitting for this post.  If there is one thing that Deanne and I love it is getting a good deal.  As you read our blog, this fact will become very apparent.  Between Deanne’s Mom and my Grandpa, we definitely learned from the best.  My grandpa taught me that you can always negotiate a price…Even if you’re buying a computer at Best Buy (I’m still amazed that one worked).  In a similar fashion, Deanne’s mom is the queen of coupons.  I’m sure the grocery store clerks cringe whenever she pulls out her categorized binder full of coupons, but she sure does have it down to an art.

Once we had our house under contract, we started shopping for furniture.  It didn’t take long for us to realize just how expensive 1500 square feet worth of furniture would be.  True to our nature, we began hunting for bargains.  By word of mouth, we found out about a Macy’s Furniture Outlet in Naperville, so naturally we had to check it out. 


I don’t want to set false expectations here…Most of the items in the store are either severely damaged or mismatched parts of sectional couches.  However, if you search carefully you can find some hidden treasures at a great price.  During our first visit, while I was wandering through the dining tables, I noticed one that was propped against the wall.  I went over to inspect it further and to my amazement this beautiful walnut dining table was priced at $25.00.  You read that correctly.  Twenty-five dollars!  I sent Deanne to find a salesman while I stood guard (so no one else would swoop in and buy it).  When she came back with the salesman, he looked at the table, looked at us, paused, and said, “You know that table doesn’t have any legs right?”


Deanne shot me a frantic look that said, “Absolutely not! What are we going to do with a table without legs?”  But after some discussion (and some pleading on my part) I was able to convince her that we had to buy it.  Worse case scenario, it would have made for some fancy fire wood.




Once we got the table home (no easy task in itself), I called my grandpa to see what he thought about spinning 4 legs for our beauty of a tabletop.  He was excited about the project and even had some old walnut we could use.  On our next trip to Galesburg, I was a little surprised when I walked into his shop and found 4 big walnut logs lying on the floor.




After a full day in the shop, we had one leg completed- which, unfortunately left 3 more to go.  Since we had no plans on being back in Galesburg any time soon, we came to the realization that our table would be leg-less for quite a while. 




Fast forward a few weeks…On one of my trips to Menards, I noticed a scratched up table top lying on the side of the road.  Sitting there next to it were 4 walnut stained legs and a zip lock baggie with the bolts to attach it to the table top.  I stopped my car, looked around (to make sure no one was watching), and quickly hopped out and threw the legs into my trunk.  I could not believe it.




Not only did the stain match our table top exactly but the brackets to attach them fit the table top perfectly.  I quickly attached the legs and Deanne helped me flip the table upright.  Unfortunately, I was too excited about my amazing find to notice that these legs were actually for a bar height table... I tried to convince Deanne that it was the perfect height for beer pong, but I quickly found myself in the basement cutting 7 inches from each leg. [Pardon dust and lack of baseboards in the pictures below]






So after a lot of luck and a few precision cuts, our $25 (plus tax) table was complete and ready for use.  I still plan to finish making the legs that I started with my grandpa but we couldn’t ask for a better temporary set (or a better story) in the mean time. 




2 comments:

  1. Though I lament the legs being cut down, this tale of a table was awesome. Now if only you could convince her to let you build a bar in trade the death of tall beer pong table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! We plan on eventually building a wet bar in the basement. In the mean time, 2 saw horses and an old closet door are a perfect substitution for a bp table.

      Delete