Sunday, March 4, 2012

Entryway "Wall of Junk"

I jokingly (but lovingly) describe our entryway wall as our "wall of junk".  I can't quite remember where the idea came from, but I knew once we were homeowners, we had to create a gallery wall. After renting for 7 years, there was something really gratifying about putting a bunch of holes in freshly painted walls. [No? Is that just me?]


I was a bit nervous when I realized the spot I chose for our gallery wall would be the first visible wall as the front door opened.  First impressions are a pretty big deal, so we were a little concerned visitors would judge us based on our quirky entryway. But, we decided to go for it. Like almost all of our home remodeling/decorating projects, Reed and I live by the motto that its okay to take some risks, as nothing is truly permanent.



I started collecting various things from piles in our basement (not kidding).  I wanted to use as much as I could of what we already owned. As I found new pieces I would lay them out on the family room floor.  This rearranging of junk (similar to the changing of the guards) took place over a few weeks.  Once I had my current pieces in some sort of order; off to Michael's (yes mom, with my coupons!) I headed to pick up some new frames.




Once I felt like I had collected enough knick knacks, it was time to make this wall happen.  My hanging process was just about as spontaneous as the item selection process.  With one minor flaw.  I forgot my precious wall had a vent.  A big white air return vent right in the middle of my soon-to-be gallery wall. 


So I did what (I assume) every normal person would do.  Actually, first I begged Reed to just remove the vent & drywall over it.  When he said "absolutely not", I resorted to option number 2 (the only viable option I could come up with)- I would incorporate that dumb vent as part of my gallery wall. It took a few minutes of rearranging, but I figured I would just pretend that was my plan all along.  Reed and I have gotten really good at pretending we actually have a plan when it comes to house projects.  ;) 


I didn't follow any official hanging process - no newspaper templates or perfect measurements.  Just a hammer, nails, measuring tape and pencil.  So, in an effort not to bore you, I am going to let the pictures speak for themselves. I give you, our "wall of junk"...






Source list (Top down):


6 comments:

  1. This is probably my favorite house detail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love wall galleries!! And I love how you incorporated several unique pieces!! Nicely done! Thanks for sharing the sources because I want that knob and the key!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to help! Love your blog! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I really, really love this. All the elements come together so perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thank you! I just checked out Max & Me - so so so cute! Looking forward to following you!

      Delete