Wednesday, March 7, 2012

I Would Walk 500 Tiles

Our house projects are never (never ever ever) just ONE little change. One idea leads to another and before we know it, we've been working on that "one" project for weeks. [Please tell me we aren't alone here...]


Take, for instance, our little fireplace "update"...


We cleaned the soot-covered limestone.


We painted the wall navy blue.


We spray painted our old gold fireplace doors slate grey.


We put up new baseboards.


(Spoiler alert) Reed built a new mantel out of walnut (photos coming soon).


I decorated our pretty new shelf to my heart's content.


And then we stepped back, assessed our progress, and instantly knew something was still off.  We had to redo that tile. The more we thought about it, the sooner it had to be done.  With each passing minute, the old tile was getting worse and worse in our minds.


And here we are, three days later. Two trips to the tile store, five different travertine tile different options, one stubbed toe (stupid sample tiles), and a burning desire to rip out the old tile asap.  




So help an indecisive couple out, which tile should we choose?










20 comments:

  1. 5! The travertine makes it modern, but the pattern is a nod to the house's former life :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alli! We love travertine (obviously) haha :)

      Delete
  2. LOVE #5! Nice contrast to the wooden floors & wall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes- good point! We don't want it all blending in :)

      Delete
  3. I vote 1! I think the simplicity with the brick backdrop will look best (and not take away from your other projects). But let's be real, I don't have an 'eye' for this stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for voting :) You picked number 1 pretty quickly, maybe we should make all your decisions by voting haha :)

      Delete
  4. I agree with Lisa and vote for 1. Fewer lines would work for me since you already have them in the brick and the floor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we were pretty nervous about all the lines in the limestone. We took a little risk & we will share result soon :) Thanks for voting Anita!

      Delete
  5. Wonderful posts - thanks for sharing all these great inspirations!

    Take care
    Tine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tine! Happy to have you following!

      Delete
  6. I vote for four. Less cuts than 5, and we all know how tough cutting tile can get, you will still get lots of color differentiation, and the smaller tile will look best on such a small space. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tile cutting with a cast was even more interesting than normal haha ;) Thanks for your vote!

      Delete
  7. I think this is the best blog I have been through all this day.
    patio paver

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you could pull off #5, that travertine tile flooring option would create a sense of uniqueness in your home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The info you provided in the blog that was really unique I love it!!! Exotic Hardwood Flooring

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, just desired to let you know, I enjoyed this blog post. It had been funny. Carry on posting! non slip paint

    ReplyDelete
  11. congratulations guys, quality information you have given!!! here

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found this website that deals with home remodeling and I thought it may be helpful to you and your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I found this website that deals with home improvement and I thought it may be helpful to you and your readers. http://www.carmelhomesllc.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic work guys I’m a die-heart fan of your web site. mat centre

    ReplyDelete