Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Desk-tacular Part 2

If you’ve been following CMC over the past year, you’ve probably noticed that we’ve slowed down on our posts as of late.  As you may remember, I broke my wrist a little over a year ago, had surgery, and spent 12 weeks in a cast.  Several months after the cast came off, I still hadn’t regained full range of motion and I was still having some pain; so I decided to have it checked out.  The Doctor ordered a scan and discovered that the bone (the scaphoid if you're interested) never healed correctly...  Long story short, the next course of action was to have a second surgery to replace the screw in my wrist, fill the gap that had formed with bone graft from my hip, and insert a pin into my hand to help stabilize the wrist.  I had the surgery between Christmas and New Years and I’ve been in a cast for 10 weeks now.  If the prognosis is good, the cast and pin will be removed for good this Friday!!!  

On top of that I left my old county government job and started a new job with a state transportation agency.  Needless to say, the first two months of 2013 have been a whirlwind.  



Looking back, I probably should have been more careful with the recovery from my first surgery.  There’s no one incident that I recall re-injuring myself but between drilling and hammering while in a cast, playing rec. league basketball and softball, wakeboarding, kneeboarding, a Super Spartan race, and all of the landscaping that we did last summer; I didn’t do myself any favors.    As you can imagine, this time I am being much more careful!  That being the case, I’ve pretty much been stuck on the couch for 8 weeks.  I can’t say that I will be picking up a hammer anytime soon but we do have some projects in the works for when I’m finally healthy. 

In the mean time I’ll be showing off a few of the projects that we finished up in our office.  Last May, we posted about building the desk (more on that here).  I guess the precursor that I gave was wrong...Anyways, with the base of the desk constructed, we tested several stain colors and ultimately used a combo of Minwax English Chestnut and Special Walnut, then applied 2 coats of poly.  





With the base complete, we moved on to the desk top.  We bought an old antique door at Attic Antiques in Galesburg and then cut it down to the size that we wanted.  With the desk cut, Deanne picked up some Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and we painted it "Paris Grey."  We also brushed on Annie Sloan Soft Wax (in clear) to seal in the new paint.  When we picked the paint color, we didn't mean for the desktop to match the walls.  We thought the desk would be more grey (the walls more blue) but it doesn't bother us that they match so we decided to leave the door "Paris Grey."










Since we wanted to used a paneled door for the desk top we needed to put a sheet of glass on top in order to give us a smooth writing surface.  We took our measurements to a local glass shop and a few days later we had a piece of glass the exact size of our desk.  







This project took way longer than it should have but we are very happy with the end result.  The real challenge will be keeping the desk (and the room) clutter free... Although our progress seems slow, we've come a long way since the before pics

Our vision is actually becoming reality! Here's a sneak peak of the rest of the room (more to come).



8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Alli! Its a lot of pattern, but we love it too! :)

      Delete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE! This is adorable!!!!

    PS Where is Auntie Virg's couch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! :) Its in the basement, waiting for you to move back to Chicago so you can have it!

      Delete
  3. The desk looks AMAZING! You guys are a very talented duo. We're loving everything about this look and can't wait to see more pictures of the office!! #halloffamers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks "Rookies"! We are loving your new blog!!

      Delete
  4. Impressive work on that desk - from the varnishing task to painting! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Charlotte! It was a lot of work, but totally worth it for such a unique piece of furniture. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete